You'll find a complete range of Micro Irrigation products and solutions available from your local Irrigear® Independent Experts.
What is micro irrigation?
Micro irrigation is a type of irrigation system that delivers water directly to the root zone of plants through a network of small tubing, emitters, and/or sprayers. Micro irrigation systems are designed to provide precise, targeted irrigation to individual plants or specific areas, which can help to improve plant growth and reduce water waste.
There are two main types of micro irrigation systems: drip irrigation and micro-sprinkler irrigation.
- Drip irrigation systems use small tubing with drip emitters spaced at regular intervals to deliver water directly to the plant roots.
- Micro-sprinkler irrigation systems use small sprinklers or sprayers to deliver water over a larger area, but still in a targeted and precise manner.
Why would I consider installing micro irrigation?
Micro irrigation systems are differentiated from other types of irrigation systems in several ways:
- Water Efficiency: Micro irrigation systems are designed to be highly efficient in their water application. They deliver water directly to the plant roots, which minimizes water loss due to evaporation and runoff. This results in higher water-use efficiency, which means more water is used by the plants and less is wasted.
- Precision: Micro irrigation systems are designed to provide precise, targeted irrigation to individual plants or specific areas. The emitters or sprayers are placed at specific intervals and are designed to deliver water at a specific rate, which helps to ensure that each plant receives the appropriate amount of water.
- Flexibility: Micro irrigation systems are highly flexible and can be used in a variety of situations, including gardens, landscapes, and agricultural settings. They can be used to irrigate individual plants, garden beds, rows of crops, or even hanging baskets and containers.
- Water Conservation: Micro irrigation systems can help to conserve water by reducing runoff and minimizing water loss due to evaporation. They can also be used in conjunction with rain sensors and soil moisture sensors to further optimize water usage and reduce waste.
- Cost-effectiveness: Micro irrigation systems can be cost-effective over the long term, as they can help to reduce water usage and maintenance costs.
How much does a micro irrigation system cost?
The cost of a dripline irrigation system can vary depending on several factors, including the size of the area being irrigated, the type of dripline tubing being used, and the complexity of the installation.
As a rough estimate, a basic micro irrigation system for a small garden bed or vegetable garden can cost anywhere from $50 upwards for the materials alone, depending on the size of the area.
For larger areas such as a lawn or landscaping beds, the cost can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars, depending on the size and complexity of the installation. The cost may also vary depending on whether the system is installed by a professional or if it is a DIY installation.
When should I use a micro irrigation system?
Micro irrigation systems are often used in areas where traditional sprinkler systems are not practical or effective, such as in narrow planting areas or in areas with slopes or uneven terrain. They can also be used to irrigate container plants, hanging baskets, and other areas where water needs to be delivered in a precise manner.
Can you automate a micro irrigation system?
Micro irrigation systems can be automated using a timer or controller, which can help to ensure that plants receive the appropriate amount of water on a regular basis. They are often used in combination with other water-saving techniques, such as rain sensors and soil moisture sensors, to further optimize water usage and reduce waste.
Advice. Products. Solutions. Australia-wide. Locally source micro irrigation systems, products and solutions from the leaders in pumping, irrigation, filtration, water and fluid management — Irrigear® Independent Experts.
Speak to your local Irrigear expert to determine the best system to suit your needs.
- What is micro irrigation?
- Why would I consider installing micro irrigation?
- How much does a micro irrigation system cost?
- When should I use a micro irrigation system?
- Can you automatic a micro irrigation system?
At your local Irrigear Independent Experts you'll find access to some of Australia's leading products and solutions in micro irrigation – from leading brands including:
- HR Products
- Nelson Irrigation
- Rivulis Irrigation
If you're thinking about how a micro irrigation solution might fit into your next water management project, make Irrigear the place to find the best advice, know-how and product availability in Australia.
Irrigear Independent Experts – local expertise backed by the best brands and products available in the industry.
- Product, System Recommendation & Supply
- Parts & Equipment
- Testing & Maintenance
Find an Irrigear® store near you