Orchard & Vineyard Irrigation
You'll find a complete range of solutions for orchard and vineyard irrigation available from your local Irrigear® Independent Experts.
What do we need to consider when irrigating an orchard or vineyard?
There are several unique aspects of orchard & vineyard irrigation:
1. Timing: Orchard irrigation needs to be timed correctly to ensure that the trees receive water when they need it the most. The timing depends on various factors such as the climate, soil type, tree variety, and stage of growth.
2. Water management: Orchard and vineyard irrigation involves managing the water supply efficiently, ensuring that trees and vines receive enough water while minimising waste. Options such as drip irrigation, micro-sprinklers, and soil moisture sensors are commonly used to achieve this.
3. Tree spacing: The spacing of the trees in an orchard can affect irrigation. Trees must be placed at the ideal spacing for their growth needs and the irrigation system must be able to accommodate this so each tree receives the right amount of water ensuring healthy growth and high yields.
4. Pest and disease control: Irrigation can also be used to manage pests and diseases by washing away insects and spores from the leaves and fruit, reducing their impact on the trees. Irrigation is also used to manage frost damage.
5. Climate: Your locality and crop species may require a certain type of irrigation, or careful timing. Some species require irrigation at certain times of their annual cycle in order to achieve optimum results.
6. Crop type: Each crop has different irrigation requirements and different management requirements. It is important to consider these different requirements when designing the irrigation system. One size does not fit all.
What are the most popular ways to irrigate an orchard or vineyard?
Some of the most popular irrigation methods for agricultural growing (such as orchards and vineyards) include:
Drip Irrigation: Drip irrigation is efficient, economical, and water-saving. Water is applied directly to the soil, near the plant roots, through a network of tubes and emitters. This system is particularly useful in arid or semi-arid regions, or where water resources are limited. Many vineyards operate with a drip line suspended from the trellis wire.
Sprinkler Irrigation: Sprinkler irrigation applies water over the root zone using spinner type sprinklers. Optimally these types of sprinklers cover the “drip line” of the tree.
Which irrigation system is right for me?
There’s no one right way to irrigate – your local Irrigear expert is more than happy to work with you on finding the best option available. You will need to consider the size of the area requiring irrigation, how the water is sourced, the specific needs of the crop, the elevation and slope of the land, and the natural rainfall as well as the management of the orchard or vineyard.
How much does it cost to irrigate an orchard or vineyard?
There are lots of different options available, and there is variety in type, size, quality, output and specifications. Your local Irrigear expert is more than happy to help you navigate the alternatives, taking into account your individual needs for water, budget and longevity.
Advice. Products. Solutions. Australia-wide. Locally source solutions for orchard and vineyard irrigation from the leaders in pumping, irrigation, filtration, water and fluid management — Irrigear® Independent Experts.
- What do we need to consider when irrigating an orchard or vineyard?
- What are the most popular ways to irrigate an orchard or vineyard?
- Which irrigation system is right for me?
- How much does it cost to irrigate an orchard or vineyard?
At your local Irrigear Independent Experts you'll find access to some of Australia's leading products and solutions in orchard and vineyard irrigation – from leading brands including:
- AIP Industries
- Motion / Advanced Industrial Products (AIP)
- Amiad Water Systems
- APT Water
- Arcus Wire Group
- Baccara Geva Australia
- Brown Brothers Engineers (BBEA)
- Challenger Valves
- Crusader Hose
- Franklin Electric
- Gallagher Australia
- HR Product
- Hunter Industries
- Iplex Pipelines
- LORENTZ Australia
- Maric Flow Control
- Nelson Australia
- NORMA Group
- Philmac Australia
- Plasson Australia
- Powell Industrial
- Rivulis Irrigation
- Rodney Industries
- Triangle Waterquip
- WBS Pumps
- White International
If you're thinking about how orchard or vineyard irrigation solutions might fit into your next water management project, make Irrigear the place to find the best advice, know-how and product availability in Australia.
Irrigear Independent Experts – local expertise backed by the best brands and products available in the industry.
- Product, System Recommendation & Supply
- Parts & Equipment
- Testing & Maintenance
Find an Irrigear® store near you